Corporate and Police Spying on Activists
This blog is about my book Secret Manoeuvres in the Dark, events around it and future research.
In this eye-opening, ground-breaking volume Eveline Lubbers opens up a new field of research. A must-read for anyone interested in grey policing, social movements, social reform and corporate intelligence behaviour.
(Gary T. Marx, Author of Undercover: Police Surveillance in America)
The exposure of undercover policeman Mark Kennedy in the eco-activist movement revealed how the state monitors and undermines political activism. This book shows the other grave threat to our political freedoms - undercover activities by corporations.
Secret Manoeuvres in the Dark documents how corporations are halting legitimate action and investigation by activists. Using exclusive access to previously confidential sources, Eveline Lubbers shows how companies such as Nestlé, Shell and McDonald's use covert methods to evade accountability. She argues that corporate intelligence gathering has shifted from being reactive to pro-active, with important implications for democracy itself.
Secret Manoeuvres in the Dark will be vital reading for activists, investigative and citizen journalists, and all who care about freedom and democracy in the 21st century.
In the recent frenzy over media phone hacking, the shadow warriors of corporate espionage have escaped scrutiny, until now. Eveline Lubbers' book shines a timely and sharp light on the dark arts of serving and retired cops, spooks and squaddies who are spying, bugging and lying for big business with impunity.
(Michael Gillard, Journalist, The Sunday Times)
- RT @PlatformLondon: Unauthorised art fest @ Tate Modern this w/e talking BP, climate. Full programme up now >> deadline.org.uk/programme/ http… 15 hours ago
- RT @KoosCouvee: Brother’s 28-year campaign to win justice for murdered private detective serialised islingtontribune.com/podcastmurder#… @AlastairMorga… 15 hours ago
- RT @pascoesabido: The first #COP21 #lobbytour in #Paris with @corporateeurope @observatoire - how dirty energy captured the COP https://t.c… 15 hours ago
- RT @anaje: هههههههه ههههههه، هموت هفطس يا جدعان، فرنسا يا منارة الحرية يا أكبر تجار سلاح twitter.com/evelinelubbers… 15 hours ago
- RT @tertiarymatt: Took the French a little less time than I thought to begin abusing their emergency laws. twitter.com/evelinelubbers… 15 hours ago