Preparing the workshop in Essex, discussing this with Tom Anderson from Corporate Watch: there is just so much to talk about!
Since the workshop as a format implies input from those who join, we may as well make it interactive from the very start. So, there you go: what would you expect from a workshop on corporate and police spying on activists? And what would your own contribution be?
- I could talk through one of the case studies featuring in Secret Manoeuvres, just to get an idea.
- Explain how the research I do is different from investigative journalism (“I start where the papers stop”).
- We could address the issue of what is needed to understand the issue of corporate spying: case studies, time lines, following the money, the people/companies behind it.
- Address the question of approaching corporate & police spying on activists within the larger context of so called ‘issue management’, reputation, globalisation, undermining of protest.
- We can talk about infiltrator’s role in the undermining of social movements.
- How to balance between talking about research and talking about spies?
Do we expect our participants to read Secret Manoeuvres in the Dark first? ->-> Purchase it now – or get a copy in Essex! <-<-
Let me know, I’ll open the comments, tweet your feedback to @evelinelubbers, or use the Secret Manoeuvres mailbox at xs4all.nl.
N.B. If you can’t come to Essex, I can come to you – we might turn this into a tour!